Namaqualand daisies after a good winter rain
Mention Namaqualand and one of the most amazing flower shows comes to mind. After a good winter rainfall,a colourful carpet of brightly coloured daisies,vygies and many other varieties of flower blooms transform the otherwise parched landscape in the early Spring. there are about 4050 species of flowering plants which make up this spectacular garden which no man is able to match. 
Quiver tree or Kokerboom in Springbok
 You will also see the quiver tree,from which the Bushman (San) made poisoned arrows. Also the "halfmens"/these are giant succulents resembling people and look a bit like sentinels on the moonscape of northern Namaquqland and the Richtersveld. some of these plants are thought to be centuries old. Because so little rain falls, water for human and animal consumption is supplied mostly by springs and boreholes. Nama is the singular form of Namaqua the name of the large Khoikhoi tribe who occupied this region before the white settlers arrived in 1850.


Today Springbok is considered the capital of Namaqualand. Its very existence was due to the opening of the first copper mines in 1852. Before copper was discovered, the area was called Sprinbokfontein because of the many thousands of springbok that frequented the strong  fresh water  spring, ideal, also for the start of the village. Water always being the prime commodity.

The Cloete brothers sold their farm Melkboschkuil in 1850 to Phillip and King of Cape Town for 750 Pounds,who then opened the first copper mine called Blue Mine in 1852. This was the first commercial mining to take place in South Africa.

In the next ten years, Springbokfontein was established in the valley of the Klein Koperberge. Due to all the fortune hunters, rushes were common around any mine resulting in the construction of a prison in 1856 which was reputedly always full of men and women falling on the wrong side of the law.

In the 1870's, richer deposits were found in Okiep (10 km north of the capital) and Nababeep and Carolusberg were soon to also bleed the capital of its large number of  residents. Mining came to an end in the capital, but what kept the town Springbokfontein going, was the water, said to be the best in the region. Thanks to this important commodity,it became the commercial and administrative  centre for the mining operations, and for all the small  surrounding villages.

There is a smelting furnace which became a national monument in 1957 which was built in 1866 for refining the low grade deposits in the discarded diggings from the original mines.(The oldest in the country)

Another monument is the museum which was the synagogue for the Jewish community until 1929 when due to the dwindling of their numbers, they decided  to donate  to Springbok.